There is a common notion that brushing, flossing, and mouth rinsing are sufficient for keeping your oral health in tip-top condition. The reality is that at-home oral care can only do so much for your teeth and gums. Regular dental checkups should become part of your oral hygiene routine if you want to maintain a full-toothed smile through the years.
Have you booked your dental appointment this year? Whether it’s been months or years since you last saw a dentist, at Artistry in Smiles, we don’t judge. Our primary goal is to see every Los Banos, California resident wear a beautiful, healthy smile.
What happens during a dental checkup?
At Artistry in Smiles, we advise our patients to see a dentist every six months. Here is what happens during a typical dental checkup:
- Physical examination: Here, your dentist examines your teeth, gums, and other mouth tissues to look out for signs of cavities, gum disease, and oral cancer.
- Dental x-rays: To visualize what the naked eye can’t see, we take dental x-rays to examine all the nooks and crannies of your entire smile.
- Dental cleaning: We use special equipment and techniques to remove plaque buildup and tartar on the teeth and beneath the gums.
What are the benefits of regular dental checkups?
As you can see, a dental checkup is more than about a quick scan of your gums and teeth. It is a well-rounded dental procedure that yields many benefits:
- Prevents tooth decay: Professional cleaning is thorough in removing plaque buildup and tartar. If you don’t deal with dental plaque as early as possible, it’s only a matter of time before gum disease starts cropping up. And, if you don’t seek gum disease treatment in good time, it advances to periodontitis that causes tooth loss.
- Freshens your breath: Dental cleanings involve a detailed cleaning of your teeth and gums, eliminating odor-causing bacteria. While bad breath might have taken a toll on your confidence, dental cleanings can give you a confidence boost with fresh, healthy breath.
- Screens you for oral cancer: During a regular dental exam, your dentist evaluates your gums, throat, tongue, and other tissues to look out for lumps, lesions, sores, and other abnormalities that may indicate the presence of oral cancer.
- Whitens your smile: Do you have a dull smile because of stubborn stains? Dental cleanings can eliminate at least 80% of your teeth stains, brightening your smile.
- Saves cost: If you honor your dental checkups today, this will save you costly restorative treatments in the future. Regular dental exams prevent tooth loss and gum disease, saving you from expensive restorative treatments like dental implants and periodontal disease treatment.
Step up your oral hygiene with regular dental checkups
Ready to maintain the long-term health of your gums and teeth? Please dial (209) 812-0041 to book an appointment with Artistry in Smiles. With Dr. Benjamin Seaton and the team, you can be sure that your oral health is in good hands.
Share this Article